When we found out that we were going to be in Florida I think it took me all of 6 seconds to start looking for half marathons to do while we are here! I found the Rock n Fly and immediately signed up. It was the first year that they were going to do the race but it looked like a lot of fun and was pretty cheap so I figured why not! The race was at the Naval Air Station and I loved that they had pictures of the Blue Angels on the medal ribbon and I loved the idea of supporting the military! The "rock" part of the race was pretty cool too! They were going to have different music playing at each mile.
The day before the race on Friday we drove to downtown Pensacola to pick up my race packet. It was still raining and had rained hard all day. The forecast for Saturday morning was not looking so great. They were predicting that at the start it would still be raining. Rain isn't an ideal race day for me but it is tolerable. I just really didn't want to run through a thunderstorm or have them cancel the race because of lightening! I got my packet and we headed back home. That night we went out to eat and I had the most amazing pasta dish ever. The cheese tortellini was so good! The only problem was that I ordered the smaller portion and after I thought about I probably should have ordered the regular. It just wasn't that much food so I was worried I would be hungry the next day.
I would have licked the plate if that was considered socially acceptable!
Late that night we got word that they were going to postpone the start of the race an hour so we would be starting at 9:00. The hope was that all the rain would be gone. So that morning I woke up and it was still raining and thundering a lot! I got up and by the time I left the house the sun was shining! I was so happy I wouldn't have to run in the rain.
I was planning on wearing this but I changed my mind and decided to wear a tank top. I'm so glad I did since it was pretty hot during the race.
I got parked and made my way to the long, long, line for bathrooms. While I was in line I started talking to a guy who was in the Navy and stationed at Pensacola. He was training to be a pilot and had so much cool information. He told several of us where we would be running and all about his training. I finally got to the bathroom and had to run to the corrals to get to the start in time. The national anthem was played by a guy on the electric guitar and it was amazing. After a video from the Blue Angels we were off!
The first couple of miles are never my best. It just takes me a while to get settled in to a great pace and relaxed. I was struggling with some really tight calves and I have no idea why! I just kept hoping that eventually they would relax and I wouldn't be in pain the entire 13 miles. We ran past the museum and the Pensacola lighthouse and the course was great so far. By mile 4 I felt much better and around this time we started running by the ocean. It was a great view! I felt amazing through mile 8 but that is when my stomach really started bothering me. I had my standard tortillas and cheese for breakfast but late the night before I realized that I didn't have any gummy bears. I always use gummy bears for fuel during any race longer than 8 miles. They just give me that extra sugar that I need for those last miles. When I started struggling at mile 8 I knew the last miles would be interesting.
We ran by the Naval Air Museum twice!
Not the best picture but Colton is obsessed with the lighthouse so I tried to get him a picture while I was running!
I kept on running even though at one point my stomach was growling so loud I didn't know if it was my run/walk timer vibrating or my stomach! It was ridiculous and a little embarrassing! The positive is that they had plenty of water stops so I made sure to drink at every one so I would at least have something in my stomach. It wasn't hurting. I was just hungry! I could tell when I looked back at my splits when it really started to slow me down. Before mile 8 I was on track to beat my PR from my half two weeks ago, but after mile 8 I slowed down a lot. I think all my miles after that were 30-45 seconds slower than early on. The course was still great. There were some rolling hills but nothing too difficult. It also started to get pretty hot but it didn't bother me too much. I am that crazy person that would rather run in 95 degrees than 30 so I was actually enjoying the heat!
Ocean views :)
I rounded the corner and saw the finish and was so glad I had made it! Is it sad that my immediate thought was get me some food quick? I was so happy to see that they still had a ton of food for the finishers. Sometimes for those of us in the back of the pack the food can be either non-existent or just really picked over. They had pizza, Subway sandwiches, bananas, oranges, and probably more that I just didn't see! I grabbed some and made my way to meet my family. Once I got some lunch I was good. I felt great! I'm still amazed at how well the Galloway method works for me and how I am not sore at all after a race!
I finished 14 minutes slower (my time was 3:06) than my half two weeks ago but I'm trying to not be disappointed in my time. I know that they won't all be PR's and the truth is I still finished 25 minutes faster than a half marathon that I did exactly one year ago. I know that the lack of my magic gummy bears hurt me and I'll make sure to have those from now on!
Overall the Rock n Fly was a great race! They did such a great job especially considering it was an inaugural race! The course was great and there was so many great volunteers along the course encouraging us. I love my medal!






Great race! I use the galloway method now too! I didn't always use the method cause I thought the walk breaks would slow me down but the truth is that i've done much better in every race i've used it in.
ReplyDeleteIsn't the Galloway method awesome!?! I've also gotten so much faster since I started using walk breaks. I never though that would happen! :)
Deleteawesome job! it sounds like a great race :)
ReplyDeleteThanks! It was a lot of fun!
DeleteAwesome job! My last half had oranges at the water stations. I loved them! I think I am going to try gummy bears on my next long run
ReplyDeleteI did a half last year that had oranges at the last couple of water stations and I was so happy! I don't even like oranges usually but during that race they were so good!
DeleteThat race sounds awesome! I did actually run in the rain this weekend - I did the Love Run Half in Philly and it POURED the last half of the race! It was tough running but the worst part was after the race when I was just trying to eat and drink but it was too wet and cold! I'm glad you didn't have to run in the rain. Congrats on coming so far since last year, that's an awesome achievement!
ReplyDeleteThanks! Boo for having to run in the rain but you get major bragging rights for running a race where it poured! That is tough!
Deleteexcellent article and very good points.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a great race, congrats and great job!!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a fun race! I had a similar problem with hunger at RNR USA. I normally race without fuel, but my breakfast and the start were too far apart. I've never been so happy to have a volunteer hand me a gu!
ReplyDeleteI didn't race this weekend - one of the few weekends I didn't have a race this spring.
Great job Michelle! I hate that I didn't get to meet you at the race!
ReplyDelete