Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Best and worst running moments of 2013


I can't believe this is the last Monday of 2013! I was looking back at my running log this past year and thought it would be fun to pick some of the best and worst moments of 2013.

Best course-hands down would have to be the River Valley 10K. It was mostly on bike trails around town and the last 2 miles were downhill. I'll never complain about a downhill finish!

Most challenging course-This award has to go to the Hogeye Half Marathon. I swore up and down I would never do this course again but I already have it on the schedule for 2014! :) The entire last 6 miles are uphill. It was brutal but I was super proud when I finished!

Toughest weather-If you've been reading this blog for a while then you probably already know this answer. I have never been so cold as when I ran the Route 66 Marathon. The shorts I wore along with the 20 degrees made for a cold 26 mile run! A close second would be the Rock n Roll Dallas. 35 mile per hour gusty winds make running challenging! Maybe I'm just destined to have crazy weather the first time I try a new distance. 

Best course for spectators-This one was tough! I'm a back of the pack runner so sometimes when I finish there aren't a lot of people around or there may not be as many people on the course. But at the Rock n Roll Dallas there were a ton of people the entire time! It was great!

Most disappointing finish-I was so tired from running two half marathons back to back that by the time the OKC Memorial Half Marathon came around I was just glad to be able to run 13 miles. But honestly my time was horrible and it took me a while to let that go!

Most fun at a race-I had a great time at the Neon 5K! It wasn't timed and I had so much fun running with Colton! For four years old he made a great running partner!


Best medal of 2013-I love my Route 66 marathon medal for obvious reasons but if I have to pick my favorite design it is the medal from Rock n Roll Dallas. I loved the guitar! The Hogeye medal is pretty awesome too!
This is a little like picking your favorite child! I love them all!


Most nervous I was before a race-I was so nervous before running the Freedom Fest 5K in July! I couldn't eat anything the morning of or the night before. I had been doing a ton of speed work and really wanted to set a PR. I did by the way! :) I know it sounds crazy that I was more nervous for a 5K than my marathon but the shorter distances stress me out!

Favorite running moment that wasn't a race-This one was tough but I loved running on the beach when we went to Florida this summer! It was so much fun to be able to run on a vacation. It's a tradition now for me to get a run in anytime we visit a new state. 


Most surprised by a finish time-I would have to pick the River Valley 10K. I ran it way faster than I had been on any of my training runs!

Most rewarding finish-This has to be my marathon. It's impossible to describe everything that that finish line meant to me!

2013 was such a great running year for me! I can't wait to see what this list looks like for 2014! Be sure to check back on Thursday because I'm going to have some of my favorite apps for running/fitness and weight loss. Happy New Year!

~Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment